Sunday, June 10, 2012

When Milk's on the Mike: Buttermilk Pie

While I've seen reviews for Buttermilk Pies referring to it as a Southern classic, it was only recently that I heard of it.  My aunt had come across a recipe in the paper for it, made it and asked me to try it.

She had obviously forgotten that as a child I once mistakenly poured buttermilk in my cereal. Toucan Sam and I, however, never will.

care2.com
"Why I oughta.....!!!!!"
"Ow! Sam I'm sorry! OW!"

Anyhoo, I tried it. And it was pretty good. A slightly grainy custard with just a hint of tanginess from the buttermilk.

Pretty good, but a little...boring for my tastes.  So I got a copy of the recipe, thank you Philippe Khan or whoever, took it home and added a few LionChef touches to it. 

Like  I do.
(My additions are in red)

I think that the added spices and fruit work well together and help to balance the sweetness of the custard.

Dig it....



Buttermilk Pie
1/2 c (1 stick) butter, melted
1 3/4 c Sugar
3 tbsp AP Flour
3 Eggs, beaten
1 c Buttermilk
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1/4 tsp ground Nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground Cinnamon
1 tsp Curry Powder
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
3/4 tsp Salt
1 c Blueberries
1 c Strawberries
2 9" pie crusts (the original recipe says 1 deep dish 9"crust)

Heat oven to 350F

1) Combine all ingredients except fruit in a large bowl. Whisk until smooth.
2) Pour mixture into pie crust(s). I like to fold the edges of the crust over the filling kinda like a galette.
3) Sprinkle fruit into pie(s).


4) Bake 40-50 mins until golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
5) Allow to cool completely on wire rack.
6) Can be served room temperature. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate to store.


Enjoy!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment